scarecrow interviews

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

 

Lee Rourke - Music.




This was passed on to me by editor extraordinaire Mr Mark Thwaite of the excellent RSB:


1. The person who passed the baton to you.

Mark Thwaite of course, I've just told you - a man of impeccable taste.


2. Total volume of music files on your computer.

A big fat zero. I think there's something on there, but that's to do with my girlfriend who seems to know more about these things than I do. So, I could ask her, but even then I probably wouldn't understand. It's all numbers to me. It's best I don't interfere with these things. Those Ipod thingymabobs, yeah seen 'em - it's just that I don't want to be that type of island. I've never even owned a walkman! What is a music file by the way?

3. The title and artist of the last CD you bought.

I buy vinyl dear man! I have quite a large Northern Soul collection [and for those of you not quite sure what the hell NORTHERN SOUL is, well, here's a little history] - there's just something completely sweet about flipping on an original 45 and letting it play out. 2-3 minutes of sheer unadulterated pain and bliss. Most of these tracks were one off's - the artist spending his/her life savings on their recording. Most failed to chart. It is this bitter-sweet melancholy, this desperate purity of desire that appeals to me. It is basic human emotion. Give me J.J. Barnes' "Please Let Me In" anyday - you can listen to it right here. What a voice - I defy anyone not to be moved it. Or Darrell Banks' "Open the Door to Your Heart" - you can listen to it here also.

Actually, I've just remembered. I bought the Kaiser Chiefs "Employment" the other week and quite enjoy listening to it - wonderful northern [they're from Leeds] self-deprecating fun, stylish Pulp-esque lyrics and snazzy blazers. I like it. Oh, and I recently found, yes that's found, Leonard Cohen's "Songs of Leonard Cohen" - 'Suzanne' is a work of considerable musical genius.

I have time for The Zutons, The Coral and other music of that ilk.

I NEVER [under any circumstance] listen to The Others. They're so bad it's lamentable.

4. Song playing at the moment of writing.

At this exact moment in time nothing, just listening to the birds chirping in the garden below my window - extremely relaxing. But usually if I'm in a good mood I'll pop on Joy Division just before I sit down at my desk to write, either Closer or Unknown Pleasures. I love Joy Division. Their music does something to me that I can't really express here. Have you got an hour or three and a few good bottles of red? We might, just, get to the bottom of it then.

5. Five songs you have been listening to of late (or all-time favorites, or particularly personally meaningful songs)

[Oooh look, American spelling...I thought these questions must have originated from over the pond] This is what I have been listening to lately. But ask me again next week and it will be a different list...

a) "Suzanne" - Leonard Cohen

b) "up the bracket" - The Libertines

c) "The Rise and Fall of ZIGGY STARDUST and the Spiders from Mars" - David Bowie

d) "The Velvet Underground" - The Velvet Underground

e) "Harvest" - Neil Young

With a special mention to The Duke Spirit and Sons and Daughters. Most of these are albums, but I generally listen to whole albums when I'm not listening to my rare soul 45's. My all time favourite, easy, "Closer" - Joy Division. I'm from Manchester - we're a moody lot.

Also anything by Johann Sebastian Bach and Sergey Prokofiev [especially Dance of the Knights]...Not forgetting Wagner too - his "Siegfried's Funeral Music" sends shivers up my spine.

6. The five people to whom you will 'pass the musical baton.'

Ellis Sharp [but if you read his fine blog on a regular basis then you'll know I've got as much chance as seeing Bob Marley drinking cocktails in my local boozer than him ever answering these questions] and Matthew Coleman [I'll publish Matt's response here]. Oh, and Andrew Stevens of 3:AM Magazine...Er, I can't think of anyone else at the moment.

Lee Rourke 2005.

Archives

February 2005   June 2005   August 2005   February 2006   March 2006   June 2006   March 2007   September 2007  

scarecrow home...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

BritLitBlogs.com